Postdoctoral Research Scientist – Neural-tissue Modelling
REVIVOCELL Limited (July 2022)
Salary: £29,500 – £32,500
This post is available for 18 months in the first instance, with the view to transition to permanent employment.
Revivocell is a spin-out from Lancaster University that is focused on developing novel organ-on-a-chip (OOC) approaches. We provide platforms that enable complex multiple cell type 3-D (three dimensional) cell culture growth in a laboratory environment, which better replicate physiological conditions to improve research in drug discovery practices and other life sciences applications.
Revivocell is committed to revolutionizing approaches that improve understanding of disease and drug development processes as well as reducing the reliance on animal testing.
It is a very exciting time to join our expanding company, we have recently received funding to develop our innovative products that are at the forefront of organ-on-a-chip (OOC) technology.
Revivocell is looking for a Postdoctoral Research Scientist to join our team to develop our product range through internal activities and work with our academic and industry collaborators. We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher with experience of neuro-tissue modelling including primary cell culture. You will work to construct multiple cell type neuro/astrocyte model that can be incorporated in our patented CELLBLOKS® cell culture device and connected to other tissue models including liver, for toxicity screening.
The post is based at Sci-Tech Daresbury, Warrington and primarily involves working with our partners to develop the Revivocell device as a 3-D model for application as a novel OOC culture device.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Neuro 3-D cell culture co-cultures in CELLBLOKS 3D Stack system and characterisation of patterns and changes to the neuro microenvironment
- Perform cell culture growth experiments including monitoring their responses to test agents for toxicity evaluation
- Preparation of journal papers for publication of project findings in high-impact peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Work as part of a fast paced, multidisciplinary and dynamic environment
- Liaising with our partners where necessary
- Generating reports and delivering internal and external presentations
Essential skills and qualifications:
- A PhD in neurobiology or a related discipline
- Experience of primary cell culture
- A thorough working understanding of experimental techniques such as immunohistochemical staining, microscopy (eg. confocal), RT-PCR and western blotting
- Publication record appropriate to stage of career including first author research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Experience in analysis and interpretation of experimental data
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Experience in designing and constructing 3D cell culture scaffolds
- 3D co-cultures such as spheroids and/or sandwich approaches
- Experience with fluid flow cell culture
- Knowledge and experience in the assessment of toxicity/safety testing of drugs
- Awareness of R&D and commercial processes in biotechnology companies
- Experience of managing other scientists and projects
Application Procedure and key dates
Should you wish to be considered for this position, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, 3rd of August at 12:00 noon.