CELLBLOKS® Sample Pack
Creature unique Multiple cell-type co-culture studies with CELLBLOKS®
CELLBLOKS® is patented, multi-organ/cell type modular “plug and play” co-culture technology. It serves the purpose of emulating the organ microenvironment in a standard in-vitro setting. It provides the feasibility of studying the assays in 2-D, 3-D cell growth condition, and in static or flow system, by using a standard perfusion rocker.
Using CELLBLOKS® different cell types can be grown on Barrier Blocks™ or Circulatory Blocks™ that emulate barrier organs or those in systematic circulation. Blocks containing organ specific cells can then be connected to each other in variety of ways to simulate complex organ-organ interactions. For instance, Intestinal cell are grown on Barrier Blocks, whereas Liver and lung cells in Circulatory Blocks.
In this way you can quickly and easy set up an experiment in the lab to simulate complex body conditions, for example, to test how organs communicate to each other when they are exposed to a test drug. The platform is designed in a standard SBS plate format making it easy to use and not special equipment in required.
CELLBLOKS® Sample Pack
The sample pack consists of the Base Chamber with Air-Lid, 1 x Circulatory Block, 1 x Barrier Block and 1 x Blank Block.
Circulatory Blocks™ provide a flat plastic surface at the bottom of the Blocks for cells to grow with side circulatory windows on the walls allowing selective media diffusion (both inlet and outlet, simulating organs in systematic circulation e.g. liver, heart, lung).
Barrier Blocks™ contain a selective permeable membrane on the bottom of the Block, allowing cell to proliferative on basolateral membrane and simulate barrier functions of epithelial and endothelial organs and tissues.
Blank Pods™ have flat plastic surface for cell growth but no inlet or outlet for media diffusion. Blank Blocks are used to grow control monocultures and at the same time create compartments in the same platform that enable each cell type to be studied individually, in sets of two combination and in a tri-culture.
- CELLBLOKS® system allows you to set-up of three-way combination possibilities which means that each cell type in a system can be tested individually, in sets of two and in a tri-culture all within one plate. In fact, CELLBLOKS®, is the only platform that enables researchers this three-way expansion. This enables you to identify and select correct cell type combinations for further study at early stage, helping you save time and money.
- Alternatively, multiple experiments can also be performed in one platform. Each platform has four individual channels to run separate cell-cell interaction experiments all at the same time within one device, enabling more productivity in less time
- The CELLBLOKS® platfromis designed in a standard SBS plate format to and works with regular CO2 incubator and readout equipment. This enables you to minimize environmental differences across standard culture vessels and analysis equipment giving you more reliable and reproducible data.
- Each cel type is grown into separate block compartment which allows for each culture in study to be viewed and studied directly without disturbing the cells in culture.
- Each cell growth Block can be independently removed and substituted during study allowing you to test different cell-cell combinations in real-time.
- Media can also be collected from the base chamber media ports for further analysis while the cells are interacting; permitting long term effect to be studied.
- Supports 3-D cell culture growth by adding a desired 3D - matrix (e.g, Type I collage
- The platform design is also suitable for perfusing the media using a standard rocker and such allowing higher throughput in less time
CELLBLOKS® applications include:
Intestine-hepatic model can be simulated using the Customised Kit platform to study the absorption, distribution and metabolism (ADME) of a drug or chemical as well as its effect on a target organ. This is achieved in ONE PLATFOM by using combination of Barrier, Circulatory and Blank Blocks. As illustrated below, 12 Blocks are needed in total and they arranged in combinations of 3s, 2s and isolated blanks. See example
First pass metabolism of drugs incorporating 1) GI Tract (Barrier Block), Liver compartments (barrier and Circulatory Blocks) and Kidney excretion model (Barrier Blocks)
- Cancer modelling: Interaction of storm cells with cancer compartment (Eg., Interaction of pancreatic carcinoma using Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cell (PDAC) with human normal dermal fibroblasts (hNDF).
- Cell-cell interaction studies
- Substrate - cell interactions including hormones and growth factors
CELLBLOKS® Sample Pack
What is in the Pack
- CBChamLid01 - 1 x Chamber & Air Lid
- 1 x CBCirc01 - Circulatory Blocks (1um pore size Polycarbonate membrane)
- 1 x CBBarrier01 - Barrier Pods (1um pore size Polycarbonate membrane)
- 1 x CBBlank01 - Blank Blocks
- Each Channel requires a minimum of 3 ml of growth medium to allow cell-cell communications between blocks. There are 4 channels in each platform.
- Each cell growth block requires a minimum of 1 ml of growth medium
Storage and Stability
- Ready to use; cell culture treated surface
- Store at room temperature.
- There is no expiry date for CELLBLOKS Blocks
- Sterile ready to use